Monday, September 28, 2015

Inlaid Die-cutting

Over the two weeks or so I've been trying out ideas to do with inlaid die-cutting. I'm working on a commission for Practical Publishing and I've been investigating cutting dies as well as assorted techniques. I'm posting a couple of cards I've made (but these won't be going to print).  :)



The first card uses a die from the Couture Creations Floral Lace Collection called "Bold Bouquet". I applied tape over the back of the areas where the very small flower pieces were and left them gold. It would have been too tiresome to replace all of those pieces. As it was, the replacement of a lot of the pieces was as frustrating and difficult as hunting for nits. Some of the pieces were so small that I couldn't even pick them up with a pair of tweezers. Thanks for my QuickStik. :) The sentiment is from a Stampers Anonymous/Tim Holtz set called Crazy Talk.



I'm pleased with how it turned out, but it is certainly a die for the stout-at-heart with plenty of patience. An easier way of achieving this same look is to cut it out of white cardstock, keep all of the pieces in place and then just colour the pieces as wanted - like a Faux-inlaid die-cutting.


The second card uses a couple of dies; the "Balloons" from Couture Creations Kalini Collection; and the other, the "Birthday Girl Die" from Echo Park Paper. The die cut background also uses a set from Lawn Fawn called "Puffy Cloud Borders".

I made the background pinkish because you can't really have a blue background for a girlie card, can you? The ombre effect, hopefully, looks like a sunset sky. Sitting here, looking at the card on screen, I've just realised that I've made a mistake on one of the balloons. Can you spot it? I will be using these dies in my commission, but not exactly how I've used them here. I'll have to remember to fix up that booboo.  :)

Anyway, gotta go. Bye for now.

Love,
Janelle

4 comments:

  1. LOVING your gold inlaid die cutting, it's so glamorous, can't wait to see the final result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These cards are beautiful! Love the inlaid die cutting technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning inlaid gold design and love the colors Janelle.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. My Mum used the Celebrate card for a niece's birthday and she absolutely loved it. :) I had a look at your blog and liked what I saw. You have a very distinctive style that is clean and highlights you die cutting. Super charming. Cheers, Janelle

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you've enjoyed my blog.