Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Metal Shim

Back again with another selection of cards that have been published by Practical Publishing. This lot of cards was published in Australian Papercraft Essentials 31. These cards featured a variety of uses for metal shim in cardmaking. I wanted to keep the techniques fairly basic, while still being interesting.




This card used a number of embossing folders, including some embossing in brass in the Vintag tags and folder. I also stencilled with some  Viva Décor Copper 3D Stamp-Paint, used a metal butterfly and metallic mesh to increase the metallic look.




















I die cut Ranger Inkssentials Foil tape sheets for this card and then created a metal foil rose using outline stickers that I placed on the mesh and cut around, before shaping and then adhering together to form the rose. The leaves were made in the same manner, but using silver outline stickers on the foil. I love the mixture of gold and silver.





      







On this card I did dry embossing with an embossing folder, then sanded the surface before playing with alcohol inks to give an aged look.

       To make the foil stronger and more resilient to dry embossing I stuck it to some cardstock before embossing.

To be honest, there are parts of this card I like (flowers and the painted doily behind) but I wish I'd done something else with the foil. Not sure???


















      









For this card after I embossed with an embossing folder, I then painted the foil with some Viva Décor 3D Stamp-Paints to give it a totally different texture. I sanded the banner before adding the sticker alphas.














The foil on this card was die cut before being recoloured using alcohol ink. 
 










This final card was created by hand embossing the house that had been stamped in thicker foil and then shaped with tools to create the shaped image. To keep the shaping, I filled the back of the image with foam tape, before attaching to the card. 

The letters were heat embossed with Stampendous Frontage Embossing set, adding mica to give it a more tactile appearance.







Anyway, that's it for this lot of cards. Be back soon with more.

Bye for now,
Love,
         Janelle

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your wonderful publications Janelle! Looks like you had a blast creating these, I've not used foil but I'll bet it looks even more amazing IRL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Therese. Your comments mean a lot to me as I know you appreciate how much work goes into these cards.
      You should try foil sometime (esp. the stuff from Tim Holtz) - easy as and great for special effects.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you've enjoyed my blog.